There’s just something special about toasted bread in any form, much less toasted in bacon grease and dressed with red wine vinaigrette.
Bacon Panzanella (serves 2-4)
- 1/2 loaf rosemary focaccia bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1-2 c. cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 c. chopped onion
- 1 c. frozen cut green beans, thawed
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- 1/4 c. red wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. dried herbs of your choice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Cook bacon over medium heat in an oven-proof saute pan until crispy. Remove bacon to paper towels to drain. Add bread cubes to saute pan and toss until covered with bacon fat.
- Place saute pan in the oven and bake 15 minutes, tossing several times, until evenly golden brown.
- In a small bowl, whisk olive oil, red wine vinegar, dried herbs, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss bread cubes, bacon, tomatoes, onion, green beans, and dressing in a bowl until thoroughly combined.