Dinner for breakfast… for dinner? Breakfast pizza seems to be experiencing its “15 minutes,” so to speak. I became obsessed with the concept of trying it out after I saw a breakfast pizza mentioned on Food Network’s “Best Thing I Ever Ate,” by some chef or another.
Entertainingly, this pizza didn’t even come out quite like I meant it to. I was planning on having provolone cheese, canadian bacon, regular bacon, shallots, tomatoes, and eggs. I was so exhausted last night that I completely forgot about the shallots and tomato, and the regular bacon was still in the deep freeze. So it was more a ham, egg, and cheese pizza, but still totally delicious.
I’ve heard that most people don’t have problems with their eggs running all over the place, but I sure did! This time I tried anchoring them by putting slices of cheese over the eggs, but I’ll have to work something out next time. I might use shredded cheese and try to create little “nests” for the eggs, or a bell pepper ring, an onion ring, something.
Breakfast Pizza (serves 2-4)
- 1 12-16 oz. ball pizza dough (I used whole-wheat from Whole Foods, and when I find a nice, chewy, whole-wheat recipe, I’ll share it)
- 1 c. your favorite pizza sauce
- 6 oz. thinly sliced or shredded Provolone (or your favorite)
- 4 oz. Canadian bacon, cut into large pieces
- 4 oz. bacon, cooked and cut into pieces
- 1 onion or 8 shallots, sliced thinly and briefly sauteed
- 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 4 eggs
- Preheat oven to 450, or heat up the grill. Roll out pizza dough and lay on a baking sheet. Spread pizza sauce over the dough. Place two-thirds of the cheese over the pizza sauce.
- Evenly spread Canadian bacon, bacon, shallots, and tomatoes over the cheese. Crack the eggs directly onto the ingredients. Add the remainder of the cheese.
- Cook in the oven 10-15 minutes, or until crust has browned, eggs are cooked, and cheese is melted.
- If you’re going to grill the pizza, roll out the dough, oil lightly, and place on the grill for about 7 minutes. Flip the crust over and lay out the ingredients as specified above, then close the grill over and cook another 7 minutes or so.