Yes, okay, maybe not the most appetizing shot, food in a leftover container, but whatever, I was too busy eating it to photograph it right after I made it.
This was something I definitely made with trepidation, because the ingredients just did not seem to go together: quinoa, carrot juice, curry powder… and yet, they just made something delightfully nutty and delicious. I highly recommend it – very healthy, high in protein, and gluten-free!
Nutty Curried Quinoa (4 medium-small servings)
Adapted from “Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone,” by Deborah Madison
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 c. quinoa
- 2 tsp. curry powder (I couldn’t taste this enough, so I would recommend adding more to taste if needed)
- 1 c. peas
- 2 zucchini, diced – I didn’t have any, so left them out
- 1 c. carrot juice
- 2 tbsp. nut butter – I used almond
- Heat oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add diced onion and cook until soft and translucent, about 3 minutes. Stir in quinoa, curry powder, peas, and zucchini. Cook for 2 minutes, or until fragrant and golden brown.
- Add carrot juice and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to low. Cover, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Check to be sure that the quinoa is cooked through, then stir in nut butter, and season with salt and pepper to taste.